The legendary saltwater spinning reel got a big update for its 30th birthday! The Van Staal VS X2 Series reels are everything and MORE than their predecessors… Lighter, Smoother, Faster, More Waterproof and some new sizes and options!
Van Staal VS X2 Series Features
The next generation Van Staal VS X2 Series still has the same great aircraft grade aluminum construction, solid titanium main shaft (slightly thicker for less flex and more strength) as well as the same proven ultimate internals; same stainless steel spiral-bevel gears, seals, bearings and patented waterproof sealed drag system.
The Van Staal VS X2 Series Reels now have a one piece “unibody” (which is stronger and more waterproof) and a redesigned rotor, anti reverse clutch assembly and modern skirted spool. The VS X2 Series now comes with the VS Power Grip Drag Knob and Power Grip Handle Knob as well as a new redesigned (offset for comfort) extended (for more power) handle arm and extended reel foot.* These four features eliminate the need for aftermarket upgrades.
*The extended reel foot provides more distance from the rod to the rotor’s line roller, eliminating knuckle busting and helping when fishing with gloves.
The redesigned rotor and clutch give the reel a very noticeable no-play feel in your hand and also it stands out when fishing. The rigid rotor has no flex or backplay because the infinite anti-reverse clutch and pinion are together (now under the rotor), offering incredible hook set power.
Another major difference is in feel when reeling the VSX-2 Series. Traditionally sealed reels with hard stainless gearing felt rough and would take years to wear in. Not the Van Staal VS X2 reels! They feel “worn in” and smooth as butter right out of the box. With regards to gearing the 100’ and 300’s were made quicker but the 150/200/250 were kept at the traditional gear ratio and line retrieval rates that anglers have fallen in love with.
Van Staal VS X2 Stand Out Additions
- The all new VSB50 X2 (bailed only) weighs in at the 12oz, offers 35” per turn and 25# of drag, holding 360 yds of 20# braid this size is a game changer! Finally a small reel that will stand up to hard fishing. It’s possibly the ultimate inshore reel that will be perfect for light tackle surf plugging and kayak fishing. We are looking forward to tog fishing with this!
- The VS100 X2 (bailless only) weighs in at 13.8oz, offers 33.5” per turn (Now As Fast As The 200 – the 100 used to be at 27 IPT it used to be at 27IPT) and 30# of drag, holding 460 yds of 20# braid. This is the smallest bailess reel and another compact workhouse that’s ready to battle and defeat big fish in the salt and sand!
- The 150 and 200 sizes are available in bailless and full bail styles *** as well as FINALLY TRUE LEFTY MODELS, 151 and 201!
- The 150 weighs 14oz, offers 30” per turn, 30# of drag, holds 440 yds of 30#
- The 200 weighs 24.1oz, offers 33.5” per turn, 42# of drag, holds 500yds of 40#
- The 250 (bailless only) weighs 24.9oz, offers 36.5” per turn, 42# of drag, holding 600 yds of 50# braid. The VS250 is a great reel for using on a 10’6”-11’ surf plugging rod to fish bucktail jigs and large surf lures.
- It’s back and redesigned faster – The 300 (bailless only) weighs 27oz, offers 50” per turn, 42# of drag, holding almost 500yds of 80# braid. This is the reel for anglers needing quick line retrieval. Perfect for fishing the Canal to Cabo! Either big roosters or big bass, the 300 perfectly matches up with a 11’-12’+ rod that will be used for long casts to big fish in fast moving water.
- Yes the 275 reel is gone.
***Due to their modular design, the rotors on 150 & 200’s can be swapped (to fish either bail-less or bailed). By removing four screws, the rotor can be switched in less than five minutes.
On the full bail models (VSB50 / VSB150 / VSB200) Van Staal improved for a much more positive functioning bail and kept the same great line roller assembly; a double bearing, solid titanium nitri-coated gold line roller. Super hard, super strong and super durable!
Two other new highlights that pass under most radars… For smoothness and also long term durability, titanium rails were added where the traverse guide oscillates on the inside of the body. The classic roll pin found on the main shaft where the spool’s hub would sit was replaced with a solid stainless pin. No more rusty roll pins!
Van Staal VS X2 Series Spec Chart
The chart below details the Van Staal VS X2’s specifications and performance particulars.
Van Staal VS X2 Series Availability
Estimated Availability: 150, 200, 250, 300 reels are all expected at the end of August/September. The VSB50 and VS100 will be in November.
To celebrate Van Staal’s 30th anniversary, a commemorative Van Staal VS200 GOLD reel will be coming but on an extremely limited basis in November. There are only 499 being made and these commemorative reels will be officially numbered. Fish it or collect it. Retail $999.99
Van Staal has and always will own the surf with its “No Limitations” ultra durable fishing reels. These tremendous improvements have been in the works for a number of years and were heavily tested and proven. We are excited to finally share the VSX-2 Series to you and welcome the next 30 years of Van Staal!