Hi Flier Hooking and Jabbing With Weather

This weather is the worst. We caught a 36 pound bass Friday afternoon on a Tony Maja #4 white bunker spoon and then took it on the chin for the 11 mile ride back to the inlet in 3 to 4’s and a cranking SSE wind. The marine forecast was for a heavy SSW wind Saturday morning so I cancelled, and it turned out to be not bad at all. I kept my Sunday people coming this morning (Sunday) in spite of the forecasted storms and this time they were right, so once again I am on land. You ever been zigging when you should be zagging? Then you know what I mean. That brings us to tomorrow, Monday, Memorial Day, the last day of the holiday weekend to make things right. Once again, the forecast is on the edge, right now Buoyweather has it as: NE 11 to 15 knots subsiding to 5 to 7 knots. I’m going to take a shot at it. Leaving at 6AM returning at 1PM. If the ocean or inlet looks bad, we will fish the bay. This is a call I will make. It has nothing to do with the big stripers that are waiting for us out there. It is only about whether we can come and go through the inlet safely and not look over our shoulder for the next cresting wave while we are fishing. The crew that jumps on this trip has to be OK with Plan B which would be casting topwaters or trolling plugs for the back bay blues, drift jigging for fluke, and at 10:30 AM, anchoring up in my favorite Oyster Creek Channel spot for stripers. I don’t have any first hand or even second hand reports from that fishing but it’s the right time, water temperature, and tide to be there. Usually 10 to 15 pound fish if we could get them going. I have a bucket of beautiful shucked and salted big surf clams to feed them. My highest priority is to get out and hunt those big bass but I just want anyone to know what our Plan B is if I don’t like the way the inlet/ocean looks. For those of you who haven’t fished with me before, I make very conservative decisions when it comes to weather and sea conditions.
Here’s our latest video clip of Bill Clark’s 36 pounder we trolled on Friday afternoon: youtu.be/WAfVQ0EwNXM 
Sailing Open Boat or Charter tomorrow, Monday, Memorial Day, May 28, 6AM to 1PM.
Wed, Thurs, and Fri, May 30, 31, and June 1, Noon to 7PM.
$175 person, 4 people max or $700 to charter the boat. Everything is provided. You can call right up until “go time” to see if there’s room.
Capt. Dave DeGennaro
Hi Flier Sportfishing
732.330.5674 cell

 

Leave a Reply