I have been watching this weather window for days and it is still right on the fence for what I like to sail in. The early morning looks good, but they have the wind coming up in the afternoon. I am going to keep getting ready as if we are going but there is always a chance I will cancel right up until our ride out the inlet or during our ride out to the grounds. It’s not beyond me to pull the plug if I don’t feel it’s right and I don’t make these decisions based on people’s level of disappointment. I feel it’s important to offer this information so you know what you are signing up for. You will always have a better chance of getting to the tuna grounds if you book another boat. I openly tell people that all the time. I’m not ashamed of it, I know where I am in the food chain. At the end of the day, we are a 25 foot center console. It is a very capable 25 foot, twin engine catamaran, with all the necessary safety equipment, including an inspected 6 man Viking life raft, EPIRB (search and rescue satellite beacon), on board Sirius/XM weather station that lets us track any storm cells and see new ones as they are born, redundant electronics including radar. I had all that stuff before I bought the first gold reel.
I will continue to monitor the marine weather forecast right up until “go time”. The inlet is another factor in these departures in the dark. Fortunately, we have incoming tide on both our departure and return, which always makes for calmer conditions in the inlet.
Open Boat Canyon Tuna, this Saturday June 11. 2AM to 4PM (usually later). $650 person plus tip for the mate. 4 people max. All fish are shared. We will be mostly trolling, targeting yellowfin and mahi. There is some warm water that pushed in and the boats that ran did well on good size yellowfin and gaffer size mahi. I will also have the tilefish rods and gear on board if we want to try. Sorry, no electric reels, we hand crank. Anyone interested in reserving a spot should call me on my cell below.
Hi Flier Sportfishing